Hartmut Richard Glaser
Hartmut Richard Glaser
Executive Secretary of the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee, CGI.br.
Professor Hartmut Richard Glaser is currently serving as Executive Secretary of the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee, CGI.br, a multistakeholder organization responsible for all Internet activities in Brazil that is in charge of coordinating the following activities:
a.) managing the .br country code top-level domain;
b.) assigning IP addresses in Brazil;
c.) Brazil's computer security incident response team;
d.) d.) the production of indicators and statistics on Internet availability and utilization in Brazil;
e.) implementing projects aimed at improving Internet quality in Brazil, including the operation of over 20 NAPs (Internet Exchange Points) in various Brazilian cities; and
f.) W3C's Brazilian office whose mission is, in part, to ensure that the World Wide Web is available and accessible to all through the development of interoperable technologies.
The activities in which Professor Glaser has participated include:
- Professor of Physics at the University of São Paulo (USP) Institute of Physics from 1968 to 1970;
- Professor of Electronics at the Polytechnic School of the USP since 1970;
- Administrative/Financial Director of the Microelectronics Laboratory of the Polytechnic School of the USP from 1972 to 1990;
- Chief of Staff and Advisor to the Director of the Polytechnic School of the USP from 1989 to 1994;
- Coordinator of the Technological Modernization of the Administrative Software program at the University of Sao Paulo, Rector's Office, from 1994 to 1996;
- Special Advisor to the Director/Chairman of the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) from 1996 to 2004;
- Coordinator of the Sao Paulo State Academic Network at FAPESP – Sao Paulo Academic Network Project (ANSP Network) from 1996 to 2002;
- Executive Secretary at CGI.br, the Brazilian Internet Steering Committee, from 1996 to 2015;
- Founder and Director of LACNIC from 2000 to 2015;
- Member of the ICANN Address Supporting Organization's Address Council (ASO AC) from 2000 to 2015;
- Member of the ICANN Nominating Committee for six years, appointed by the ASO AC in 2004 and 2005, 2008 and 2009, in 2010, in 2012 and 2013;
- Local and international speaker on topics related to the Internet in general, particularly Electronic Government and Internet Governance;
- Local organizer of two ICANN events in Brazil (Rio de Janeiro 2003 and Sao Paulo 2006);
- Local organizer of the II Internet Governance Forum held in Rio de Janeiro in 2007 and of the "10. IGF - Internet Governance Fórum" that will be hold in João Pessoa in November 2015;
- Professor at the Summer School on Internet Governance in Buenos Aires, Argentina (2009); Sao Paulo, Brazil (2010); and Meissen, Germany (2009, 2010 and 2012);
- Special Adviser to the Secretary-General of the United Nations from 2007 to 2015 on Internet Governance matters and strategic advice on IGF-Internet Governance Forum events.
Professor Glaser earned a BS in Physics from the University of São Paulo (USP) in 1967, a Masters in Electrical Engineering from the Polytechnic School of the USP in 1973, and completed a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering at the Polytechnic School of the USP, from 1973 to 1975.