Return Resources

Internet Resources (IP blocks and ASN) allocated directly by LACNIC can be returned if the organization that has custody no longer wishes to use them.

In addition, resources allocated to organizations in the region by ARIN, or by the central registry before Regional Internet Registry (RIR) formation, can be returned to LACNIC.

An organization may return resources in the case of cessation of activities, a merger with other organizations, network reorganization, etc.

Once the Internet resources have been returned to LACNIC, the organization which previously had custody will no longer be authorized to use them. Furthermore, their registry information will be removed from the LACNIC Whois database.

Internet resources returned to LACNIC can be allocated to other organizations in the future.

To initiate the return of Internet resources the current administrative contact of the organization that has custody must ask formally for that return.

In order to do that:

Fill out the form


Sign the document

  1. Document for returning resources allocated directly by LACNIC;
  2. Document for returning resources allocated by ARIN.

An example of such a document can be verified at:

  1. Returning resources allocated directly by LACNIC; (EXAMPLE)
  2. Returning resources allocated by ARIN. (EXAMPLE)

Send signed document to

Rambla República de México 6125.
Montevideo, 11400.

Once an organization has made the formal request for return, it will be evaluated by LACNIC and additional documents may be requested.

We will be accepting only the requests for the return of resources from organizations without outstanding payments to LACNIC.

In cases of returned IP Blocks, the block prefix to be returned must be:

  1. equal to the one that was allocated,
  2. or half the size of the allocated prefix. (This size must not be smaller than the minimum size allocated by LACNIC to ISPs or End Users for IP blocks according to current policy.)

Contact Us

If your organization has any outstanding debts, please contact
If your identified contact person no longer works for your organization, please contact