Opportunities for effective collaboration in applied research are in line with LACNIC's mission, particularly with the importance of developing technological capabilities and applied research for a stable and open Internet within the region.
The aim is to create alliances with groups and/or research centers and academic institutions at the regional level to promote research collaboration, the development of knowledge and the dissemination of research and studies focused on the specified lines and topics of interest.
- To promote the development of applied research projects that include preliminary findings, potential for impact, and practical applications, in line with LACNIC's priority lines and axes of interest.
- To promote the development and exchange of knowledge, the transfer and dissemination of technical content in line with the defined priority lines and topics.
- To participate in studies, research, and academic publications.
- To consolidate collaboration networks and actions among researchers, research centers, groups, laboratories, and academic institutions.
Lines and Areas of Research / Work
These priority lines and areas of work and research seek to promote the development of knowledge, methodologies, tools and techniques, and/or to generate original results that will promote the development of a stable and open Internet in the region, in line with LACNIC's mission. There is particular interest in promoting and developing research, papers, case studies, adoption of best practices —among others— that have specific applications, involve solutions to real problems, and/or result in innovation in one of the areas detailed below.
Network Architecture and Operation
Monitoring, measurement, management, optimization, automation and/or innovation in network architecture and operation related to one or more of the following priority topics:
Traffic Engineering and Interconnection
Monitoring, measurement, management, control, modeling, optimization and/or innovation in one or more of the priority topics and related to the specific areas below:
Cryptography, Security and Resilience
Contribution to Internet security and resilience, the prevention of, and response to, attacks, incidents and anomalies in Internet infrastructure, and the generation of innovative approaches and solutions with a special emphasis on the priority issues detailed below:
- DNS (approaches such as DNSSEC or others)
- Routing Security
- RPKI and/or Extensions
- Route Origin Validation
Future Development of the Internet
This line of work and research seeks to contribute to the future development of the Internet in the LAC region. Its approach is broad and places special emphasis on addressing the regional challenges posed by the priority topics detailed below:
- High performance computing
- Use of Blockchain and its applications
- Other innovative topics related to the line of work and research
Starting in 2022, collaboration agreements have been entered into with the following institutions:
- Universidad de Montevideo - Uruguay
- Universidad de Palermo - Argentina
- Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey - Mexico
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande (FURG) - Brazil
- Universidad de los Andes (UNIANDES) - Colombia
Project Themes and leaders
- Optimization and security of autonomous system routing in the Internet
PhD Cristina Mayr (School of Engineering)
- Palermo congestion control, its application to various types of services and infrastructure, benchmarking vs. other advanced applications
PhD Alejandro Popovsky (School of Engineering)
- Identification and mitigation of DDoS attacks in Software Defined Networks for IoT
PhD Jesús Arturo Pérez Díaz (School of Engineering)
- Remote peering
PhD Pedro de Botelho Marcos (Center for Computational Science)